This is my monthly clothing budget series. And all I can say is: budget = blown. Although my budget renewed for this spring season, I spent nearly all of it in a single month! I think it has to do with a big proposal deadline I had at work this month. Stress = online shopping = BAAD.
- Fox coin pouch, $30 (Nordstrom): I’m not really sure what this is for, but it was too cute to pass up. It’s just been sitting on my counter, but I smile when I look at it, so it’s worth it, right?!
- Jacket, $70 (Zella): I sometimes randomly stalk Zella’s sale (bad habit, I know), and this jacket popped up. I really like this style of stretchy, high-collar athletic jacket, so I picked it up.
- Hiking shoes, $100 (Merrell): As I posted on my Instagram, we went on a long hike to San Jacinto Peak (about 9 hours including breaks!). I got these hiking shoes from Shoes.com (formerly known as Shoebuy). They were best price I could find; even cheaper than Amazon. I think it’s because Shoes.com orders the shoes directly from the manufacturer, so they don’t hold their own inventory and thus have less overhead, which they pass on to the consumer.
- Dress x 2, $60 (Old Navy 1, Old Navy 2): I usually have good luck with Old Navy dresses. Aside from them being a hair too short for work, I like their styles and colors. I ordered 4 dresses to try, and decided to keep these 2. The striped one is a little more preppy/East coast style than I’m usually wearing nowadays, but the ponte material is nice and thick. In general the quality at Old Navy is not the greatest, but I’ve had good luck with their ponte pieces.
- Leggings, $25 (Old Navy): I was really tempted by these color-blocked Outdoor Voices leggings, but got this knockoff version instead. All of my other leggings are black, so the color-blocking should be a nice change.
Spring 2018 budget: $300 – $280 (March) = $20 left for April and May
Sticking within the budget for the rest of the season (April and May) will be a good challenge. I’ve been reading about Cait Flanders’ shopping ban, and it seems like something good to try for the next two months. I like the idea of being less materialistic. While these monthly blog spending updates are fun and good for accountability, I also feel like they’re celebrating the things I bought, similar to those “shopping haul” videos on YouTube. So it might be good to cool off for a while 🙂
I’m also planning to try this 10×10 challenge, which is where you pick 10 items of clothing and remix them over 10 days. It should be a good distraction from shopping as I try to “shop my closet”. I’ve been picking out my items, and so far everything is black/white/grey Accessories will be key.
Things I didn’t buy
I thought it’d also be fun to list stuff that I was thinking of buying, but managed to talk myself out of. These include:
- Hiking gloves: Also for the hike, I was seriously considering buying a nice pair of softshell outdoor gloves. But then I remembered that I have winter mittens stashed away snowboarding, so I used those instead.
- Llama flats (Soludos): I saw these llama flats on An Invincible Summer, and being a llama lover, I was sorely tempted. Still using every ounce of self-restraint on this one 🙂
- Drunk Elephant TLC (Sephora): I’m not a very regular Sephora customer, but I had been holding off until March (my birthday month) to place an order, to get the birthday gift. I had previously ordered this serum in a travel size and knew it was working well. But I suddenly realized that (a) I don’t even like any of the birthday gifts, (b) the travel size is still not empty, and (c) I spent a lot this month. So this purchase will have to wait until I run out!